Vomiting is an uncontrollable reflex that extracts the contents of the stomach through the mouth. This is a common condition that people experience from time to time.
There are many factors that may result in vomiting, it may be a hangover, a stomach bug, or motion sickness. Home remedies for vomiting are universal. However, if vomiting does not go away, you should probably see your doctor for proper medication.
Why am I Vomiting?
Vomiting is a common condition that happens to everyone. One of the first things to figure out is what is making you throw up. Eating too much or drinking too much are common reasons why you vomit. Consuming food beyond the ability of the stomach to digest and excessive drinking of alcohol are reasons for vomiting.
Vomiting is also caused by;
- Food poisoning
- Infections that are associated with bacterial and viral illnesses
- Motion sickness
- Pregnancy-related or morning sickness
- Prescription medications
Home Remedies that Can Actually Help Stop Nausea and Vomiting
Aside from over-the-counter medicines that treat nausea and vomiting, here are the following home remedies that you can do to treat to relieve your stomach.
Ginger is one of the most effective ways to reduce nausea. It brings instant relief that calms the stomach. This is also safe for pregnant women. To use this herb, you prepare a warm cup of ginger tea when nausea strikes. You can also eat small pieces of fresh ginger or candied ginger.
Cloves are a good prevention remedy for vomiting. This is known as an ancient remedy for nausea caused by motion sickness. This herb also has an antibacterial compound that helps the stomach. To prevent vomiting, you should drink clove tea. Add a teaspoon of cloves into a cup of boiling water and let it steep for 10 minutes. Strain it before drinking.
Fennel seeds help calm the digestive tract by reducing queasiness and nausea. To use this as a remedy, prepare a cup of boiling water and add a teaspoon of fennel seeds. Steep it for 10 minutes then strain it before drinking.
4. Sugar and Salt Water
Drinking a mixture of sugar and salt in water is also an effective way to relieve the stomach after vomiting. This brings balance to various levels of salt in the body such as potassium and sodium.
Lemons are one of the common ways to treat nausea. Its vitamins and minerals help the stomach settle and give instant relief. You can mix the juice of the lemon in a cup of water. You could also add honey to make it improve its taste.
6. Orange Juice
Orange juice has the same effect just like lemons. Orange juice replenishes lost vitamins and nutrients in the body caused by vomiting. Other citrus fruits like kiwis and grapefruits help in relieving the stomach.
Using essential oils may help relieve nausea. Clove, lavender, chamomile, rose, and peppermint are scents that you can use to reduce nausea. You can add a few drops of essential oil in a cotton ball and inhale it. You can also add the oil to a diffuser.
What to Eat to Stop Vomiting?
It can be challenging to eat while feeling sick, you still need to regain the lost electrolytes. It is also important that you stay hydrated. Here are some of the best food and drinks you need when you are feeling nauseous.
- Eating crackers, pretzels, and toast are often recommended to eat when you are feeling sick or nauseous. This is a quick snack that requires no effort while bringing instant relief to the stomach.
- Water is always the perfect source of hydration. Vomiting can lead to dehydration if you do not stay hydrated. Drinking more fluids is a must.
- Bananas are also a good source of minerals in the body after you vomit. This can replace minerals that you lost like potassium.
- Herbal teas are common drinks used for nausea. Peppermint and chamomile are good choices of herbal teas.
Additional Ways to Help with Vomiting
- Deep breathing helps relieve nausea and vomiting. Try taking deep breaths by breathing air through your nose and into your lungs. Deep breathing also helps anxiety that occurs when you are feeling sick.
- It is important that the children are hydrated after they vomit. This is crucial for them as this could lead to dehydration and it could be dangerous for these children. Encourage them to drink water or at least eat saltine crackers.
- Using wrist acupressure helps certain points in the body to relieve symptoms of nausea. You can use this by applying pressure to the pressure point Neiguan. This is located near the wrist, on the spot on the palm side of the forearm. It is located near your wrist. These are the following steps to massage this pressure point:
- You should place three fingers across the wrist.
- Next is to put your thumb under your index finger
- Rub the pressure point in a firm circular motion. You should do it two or three times.
- Then, repeat it on the other wrist.
Vomiting can be very unpleasant and these home remedies help ease discomfort. These are more effective for motion sickness or morning sickness, for pregnant women. However, if vomiting is caused by serious conditions like food poisoning or infection, it is advisable to go to the doctor for medical attention.